29 May 2005

Backups with Burn Folders

I have a two step backup strategy for my Mac, 1) I create a complete bootable clone of my hard disk to an external FireWire disk using Carbon Copy Cloner and 2) I create smaller backups of important data to DVDs. I've used a bunch of different methods to create the backups and burn them, including the built-in command line tools to manipulate disk images. However, I've never found any technique that I really like, or is quick enough for me to create these regularly and automatically (my core data is usually around 10Gbm so a lot of manual deletion is usually in order).

Tiger however includes the new Burn Folders, which are essentially a folder full of symlinks to stuff you want to burn. Fill it up, check its size (Command-I) and burn!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home